Friday, October 12, 2007

Wowsa Brownies

This recipe was the grand prize winner from a national brownie contest, so I decided to give it a try. The word we feel best describes these is "Wowsa!" You need to keep them refrigerated unless serving them, but when they've had a chance to warm to room temperature before you eat them, they are uber moist and melt in your mouth. They are also super rich and any chocolate cravings will be satisfied with a couple small bites, so one pan of these goes a long way. I'll never be happy with boxed brownie mix again.

* 4 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate
* 3/4 cup butter
* 2 cups sugar
* 3 eggs
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
TOPPING:
* 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
* 1/4 cup water
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped

In a microwave or double boiler, melt chocolate and butter; cool for 10 minutes. Add sugar; mix well. Stir in eggs and vanilla. Add flour; mix well. Stir in the walnuts.
Line a 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan with foil and grease the foil. Pour batter into pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with moist crumbs (do not overbake). Cool completely.
For topping, melt chocolate chips, water and butter in a microwave or double boiler; stir until smooth. Cool to room temperature. Fold in whipped cream. Spread over brownies. Chill before cutting. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Yield: 3 dozen.
PREP 20 min. COOK 25 min.

1 comment:

Alicia said...

Ooh, I can't wait to try these. In fact, despite it's being 11:00 pm, I almost think I'll go make them right now!