Friday, December 12, 2008

Sour Cream Cutouts Cookies


Each Christmas I end up making these for the many parties that we go to, and each year I'm asked if I'll be bringing them again. Naturally, I use christmas cookie cutters for them (usually a star, bell, and tree) and then sprinkle green or red sugar crystals over the top. Anywho, here's the recipe from Taste of Home.
TIME: Prep: 25 min. + chilling. Bake: 10 min.
*
COOKIES:
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
*
FROSTING: 1/3 cup butter, softened
2 cups confectioners' sugar
2 to 3 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
*
Directions:
In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs. Add sour cream and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Chill dough at least 2 hours or overnight. Roll on a heavily floured surface to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a 3-in. cutter. Place on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until cookie springs back when lightly touched. Cool. Mix all frosting ingredients until smooth; spread over cookies. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
*
Extra Notes:
You've got to work quickly while the dough is super cold, or else it gets sticky really fast. I use a pastry brush to brush all the flour off the cookies before baking them, and that way they aren't as dry. I also often put more powdered sugar in the frosting to make it firmer and go further. You can keep the dough in the fridge for up to a couple days, but any longer than that and it will start to discolor. Lastly, I sometimes use a little bit of almond flavoring in place of some of the vanilla - in both the dough and the frosting.

No comments: