Friday, January 25, 2008

Nummy Turtle Brownies

Okay, so I don't know the official definition of "turtle" brownies, but this is what I decided to call them. I was craving brownies something fierce last night but all I had on hand was a generic box mix and I knew that I wanted "something more", so I decided to get a little creative. Here's the ingredients I used, followed by what I did.

1 box Western Family Chewy Deluxe Brownie Mix (usually < $1)
2 large eggs
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup coconut (sweetened/shredded/cheap kind)
1/2 cup Hershey's Special Dark chocolate chips
1/4 cup Heath toffee bits
1/4 cup chopped pecans
caramel ice cream topping (the upside-down squeeze bottle)

Heat oven to 325'F. Use non-stick spray to grease bottom of 13"x9" dark nonstick pan. Mix first five ingredients until just blended. Spread batter in pan. One at a time, sprinkle the coconut, chocolate chips, toffee bits, and pecans evenly over the batter. Bake in oven for 30 minutes - should test done with toothpick. Let cool for about 10 minutes (or as long as you can stand to wait) and then serve onto plate. Drizzle some caramel topping over the brownie and eat with a fork and a glass of cold milk.

I'll admit it, chocolate is my vice and I can't eat just one, single brownie (which is why I substitute applesauce for some of the oil). This seriously satisfied my chocolate cravings last night, and I only ate one. The ingredients I put on top weren't planned. They were just what I had on hand in the pantry that needed to be used up. They turned out very moist but still pretty rich, so next time I may try 6 Tblsp applesauce and 2 Tblsp oil. Nummers!!!!!

No comments: